Job Posting: Income Assistance Legal Advocate Assistant
Together Against Poverty Society (TAPS) is seeking a temporary full time Income Assistance Legal Advocate Assistant.
This position is funded by the Canada Summer Jobs plan for students and must meet the following criteria:
– between 15 and 30 years of age;
– registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
– Canadian citizens or permanent residents or have official refugee protection status under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (foreign students are not eligible); and
– are legally entitled to work in Canada
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Provide legal information and summary advice to applicants and recipients of income assistance and provincial disability benefits concerning their rights, responsibilities and entitlements under the relevant legislation.
2. Provide legal advocacy for applicants and recipients of income assistance through negotiation with the staff of the Ministry of Social Development, the preparation of oral and written submissions.
3. Provide public legal education presentations to community organizations concerning income assistance rights, responsibilities and entitlements.
4. Prepare activity reports to the funders of this position and TAPS Executive Director.
Skills and Abilities
- Be highly organized and able to manage a diverse and busy case load;
- Knowledge of (or the ability to learn quickly) legislation pertaining to income assistance and provincial disability benefits and the administrative process for resolving disputes under the relevant legislation.
- Excellent negotiation and advocacy skills
- Have a positive and non judgmental attitude towards people in poverty
- Excellent communication and writing skills relating to submissions and other documents required for legal advocacy work;
Salary: $10.25/hr Application Deadline: May 15th, 2012
Please send cover letter, resume and sample of written advocacy (max. 3 pages) to:
TAPS – #302 – 895 Fort St., Victoria, BC V8W 1H7 or e-mail: email@example.com
ATTN: Kelly Newhook, Executive Director