Job Posting: Volunteer Coordinator
Permanent | Full-Time
Together Against Poverty Society is hiring a full-time, permanent position for a Volunteer Coordinator. The deadline for applications is midnight on Monday, June 28, 2021. Located in Victoria on the territory of the Lək̓ʷəŋən (Lekwungen) peoples, TAPS is one of the largest anti-poverty organizations on Vancouver Island, specializing in face-to-face legal advocacy services. Through our work we seek to have a positive impact on people's lives in ways that honour and promote human rights, justice, and a healthy, sustainable community. Interested applicants can apply by sending a cover letter and CV by email to our Executive Director (firstname.lastname@example.org), or by delivering it in person to our office at 828 View St., Victoria.
Job Description (Nature of the Position)
The primary job responsibilities for this position are as follows:
1. Coordinate and schedule the volunteers of the Volunteer Tax Program;
2. Manage volunteer enrollment in the CRA’s CVITP Program;
3. Coordinate outreach programs for the Volunteer Tax Program;
4. Coordinate the volunteers of the Volunteer Disability Advocacy Program;
5. Recruit and retain new volunteers through community partners like Volunteer Victoria and the University of Victoria;
6. Coordinate a regular volunteer training program for new VDAP volunteers;
7. Facilitate volunteer appreciation initiatives and events as required;
8. On occasion draft literary pieces for our newsletter Taproot and our website, and in consultation with management help with the drafting of press releases and communications relating to your work;
9. Maintain records and statistics for reporting to funders about the programs; and,
10. Assist the rest of staff with the general duties of the office, which are shared by all staff (for example: kitchen cleanliness, front desk cover, TAPS fundraising events).
Required Qualifications, Knowledge, Education, and Skills
The successful applicant should:
Have experience working with or coordinating volunteers;
Be familiar with and have general computer competency;
Be highly organized; and,
Be a good communicator who is able to accommodate and work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds, especially those with disabilities.
The following would also be assets in the position:
Volunteer experience with the CRA’s volunteer Tax Program;
2. Knowledge about the application for provincial disability benefits (PWD), Disability Tax Credit (DTC) and Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP); and,
3. Lived experience with disability.
Hours of Work and Compensation
This position is full-time (5 days/week or 35 hours/week). TAPS staff are members of the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 374, and this position is covered by the TAPS Collective Agreement. Under the collective agreement this position pays $23 during the probationary period (first 3 months), and $28/hr thereafter.
Applications and Interviews
To apply please send cover letter and CV to:
The deadline for applications is June 28, 2021.
TAPS encourages applications from a wide range of candidates including people of Indigenous ancestry, people of color, LGBTQ2S+ people, and people with disabilities.