BC Hydro has recently launched a new pilot project called the Customer Crisis Fund (CCF), designed to help hydro customers facing disconnection due to a temporary financial crisis.
What are the eligibility criteria?
- You must be a residential hydro account holder (or an authorized representative applying on behalf of an account holder).
- The application must be for your primary residence.
- Your account must be in arrears (have overdue payments), and you must be facing disconnection.
- You must have experienced a life event within the last 12 months that caused a temporary financial crisis.
- Your outstanding balance must be $1,000 or less, and you should be able to demonstrate that you have attempted to make payments towards your bill.
- You may only receive one CCF grant per year. However, if you apply for a CCF grant and are denied, and subsequently your circumstances change, you can apply again in the same year.
How much can I get?
The amount that you can get depends on how much you owe. The most that is available is $600 for customers who heat their homes with electricity, and $500 for customers with non-electrically heated homes (e.g. natural gas heat).
How do I apply?
- Online at www.bchydro.com
- By getting an application and filing it at a Service BC office
- By getting an application at a Service BC office and mailing it to PO Box 8910, Vancouver, B.C., V6B 4X3
Where can I get help with my application?
- Through BC211 (1-844-708-3208)
- At TAPS (250-356-3521, #302 - 895 Fort Street).