Job Posting: Employment Standards Legal Advocate
Together Against Poverty Society (TAPS) is seeking a part-time (3 day/wk) Employment Standards Legal Advocate.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Provide legal information and summary advice to non-unionized low wage workers concerning their rights and responsibilities as they pertain to the Employment Standards Act.
- Provide legal advocacy for non-unionized low wage workers through negotiation with their employers and/or by providing assistance with the Employment Standards complaint process. This may include the preparation of oral and written submissions at administrative tribunals.
- Provide public legal education presentations to community organizations concerning the rights and responsibilities found under the Employment Standards Act and other relevant legislation.
- Prepare activity reports to the funders of this position and TAPS Executive Director.
Skills and Abilities
- Be highly organized and able to manage a diverse and busy case load;
- Knowledge of (or the ability to learn quickly) legislation pertaining to Employment Standards and the administrative process for resolving disputes under the relevant legislation.
- Excellent negotiation and advocacy skills
- Have a positive and non-judgmental attitude towards people in poverty
- Excellent communication and writing skills relating to submissions and other documents required for legal advocacy work;
Application Deadline: June 20, 2016
Please send cover letter, resume and sample of written advocacy (max. 3 pages) to:
TAPS - #302 – 895 Fort St., Victoria, BC V8W 1H7 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
ATTN: Kelly Newhook, Executive Director