CANADA SUMMER JOBS: Legal Advocate Assistant (2)
Together Against Poverty Society (TAPS) is seeking two temporary part-time Legal Advocate Assistants.
These positions are funded by the Canada Summer Jobs plan for students and applicants must meet the following criteria:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age;
- be registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
- be Canadian citizens or permanent residents or have official refugee protection status under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (foreign students are not eligible); and are legally entitled to work in Canada
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Assist TAPS legal advocates to provide legal information and summary advice to applicants and recipients of income assistance, provincial disability benefits and tenants concerning their rights, responsibilities and entitlements under the relevant legislation.
- Assist TAPS legal advocates to provide legal advocacy for applicants and recipients of income assistance and/or those with tenancy concerns through negotiation with relevant staff and/or landlords, including the preparation of oral and written submissions.
- Assist TAPS legal advocates to provide Public Legal Education presentations to community organizations concerning income assistance and/or tenancy rights, responsibilities and entitlements.
Skills and Abilities
- Be highly organized and able to manage a diverse and busy case load;
- Knowledge of (or the ability to learn quickly) legislation pertaining to income assistance and provincial disability benefits and the administrative process for resolving disputes under the relevant legislation.
- Excellent negotiation and advocacy skills
- Have a positive and non-judgmental attitude towards people in poverty
- Excellent communication and writing skills relating to submissions and other documents required for legal advocacy work
Salary: $10.45/hr Application Deadline: May 16, 2016
Please send cover letter, resume and sample of written advocacy (max. 3 pages) to:
TAPS - #302 – 895 Fort St., Victoria, BC V8W 1H7 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
*Digital submissions should be contained within a single PDF document with “Canada Summer Jobs” in the subject line.
ATTN: Kelly Newhook, Executive Director - TAPS